Wednesday, May 19, 2010

19 Days & Counting

Yep, just 19 more days until my surgery. Is it wrong that I am counting down to it not only to improve my health but to also get a break from my job?! So much has happened in the past week that my head is still spinning.

I attended my pre-op class on May 11. The first part was all about the surgery and what to expect, etc. Then the dietitian came and talked to us about supplements, the 4 phases of eating after surgery, and how all of the habits I have now will change. For example, after surgery you can't eat and drink together or you run the risk of overeating since the liquids will push your food through more quickly. It will be a real challenge to not have a sip of something to drink during meals. You have to stop drinking 30 minutes prior to eating and can't drink again until at least 30 after your meal. You also have to consume your protein first and then if you are still hungry you can have some low-carb vegetables from "the list". You have to chew each bite at least 20 times to make sure it will be able to be swallowed. So much to learn about how to eat! But after 35 years, I guess the way I've done it hasn't worked so it's time to try something new.

After the class was over, I paid my surgery deposit and headed over to the hospital to have my pre-op lab work done. Apparently they didn't schedule me so I had to wait a lot longer than planned, ruining my lunch plans in Franklin. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but since I don't get to see the person I was having lunch with often, it kinda sucked. At least I got my surgery stuff & hospital charges paid for before leaving.

The day only got worse from there. Actually, the whole week got worse from there. First I had a run in with the district HR guy about my schedule. So sorry I had to take off for pre op stuff! This was after the run in I had with him on Monday about my review. So I enjoyed the rest of my day off and my day off the next day too. Thursday I went to a walk through at another store, and returned to my store to get ready for the big review meeting on Friday.

Friday I met with my district manager, and apparently I am not running my store well. I had a feeling all week they were out to get me, so I took some time and considered the offer they made me to step down as a store manager and return to being an assistant. It hurt, I'm not going to lie. I felt like a failure. I felt like I hadn't gotten the support I needed and that I was going to look like the loser while someone else will go in there and look like a hero. After a lot of prayer and talking it over with lots of friends & family, I took the offer. Luckily I don't lose any salary, so in the long run this move might be better for me. It is definitely less stress already. Mt. Juliet is a lot quieter than Charlotte Pike!

As the day gets closer, I am getting more and more excited. I know this is going to give me a better outlook on life, and that I will gain so much from this experience. With at least the work stress down, I can concentrate on me. Now if I could just figure out what to do with the personal life stress.

So, 19 days. My life is going to change dramatically. Maybe by then I will be able to stop letting things bother me. I have more important things to worry about, like the liquid diet that is coming up and looking into taking some classes to change careers. I have to remind myself that I am all that matters right now. I pray for strength to do the things I need to do. I pray that I am able to resolve the issues I am having. I pray that these 19 days pass quickly so I can start my new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment